English Forum
¿Quieres reaccionar a este mensaje? Regístrate en el foro con unos pocos clics o inicia sesión para continuar.
English Forum

Here you will discuss some topics seen in class, just as debate on some ideas

ÍndiceÍndice  Últimas imágenesÚltimas imágenes  BuscarBuscar  RegistrarseRegistrarse  Conectarse  

African – American civil rights (Group: 318)

+24
Laura Lozano
EduardoRG
AbbyGzz
jorgeea
Carlos Flores Rodríguez
Daniela Alejandra
valeriajissel
Debanhy Karina
Lizeth González Jonas♥
Valeria Obregón
Maura Rincón
Emperador Emmanuel
Brenda López
KevinVega
Diana Ibarra
Jesús Rafael
Ana Claudia Medellin
Alan Eduardo Ramirez Rico
LuciaMiranda
serch-(LitioLitio)
Carolina Armendariz
MeganSandoval
Joséangel
Miss Samantha
28 participantes
Ir a la página : 1, 2, 3  Siguiente
AutorMensaje
Miss Samantha
Admin

African – American civil rights (Group: 318) Empty
MensajeTema: African – American civil rights (Group: 318)   African – American civil rights (Group: 318) EmptyLun Oct 27, 2014 6:08 pm

Hello Guys!

The question you will have to answer is the following:

Do you believe that there is still racism in the US? Do you believe that the promise of equality has been fulfilled now, in the year 2014?

To answer to MY question please do it in the following format:
Complete Name: (You name)
Answer:(Your answer, comment)

Remember you have to comment on one of your classmates

To answer to one of your classmates use the fomat below:
Complete Name: (Your Name)
Answering to: (Classmate)
Answer: (answer comment)
https://01111988.foroactivo.mx
Joséangel

MensajeTema: Re: African – American civil rights (Group: 318)   African – American civil rights (Group: 318) EmptyMar Nov 04, 2014 1:33 am

José Ángel de Jesús Contreras Rentería
I think that there is still racism in the US because there are people that discriminate black people, maybe today there are not slaves as some years ago, or maybe there are not a specific division betwwen black and white people in the public bus as Rosa Parks when she was arrested because she did not follow that rule, but I think that there is still discrimination between black and white people when they are talking about daily life and society, for example, if there is a crime, and if in that situation there are a black and a white person, the majority of people wiould think that the criminal is the Negro, maybe just because of his skin color.
As son as the promise of equality, I think that it is just partially fulfilled, because, as I have mentioned, there is still racism in the daily life, but I could say that thanks to that people that was fighting against discrimination and racism, there are not slaves anymore.
I think that a change is needed, but that starts on us.
Smile Wink
MeganSandoval

MensajeTema: Re: African – American civil rights (Group: 318)   African – American civil rights (Group: 318) EmptyMar Nov 04, 2014 2:12 am

Megan Itzel Sandoval Pérez
I do believe that there is still discrimination in the USA. It is right that there is a big difference in how black people were treated years ago and nowadays, but they are still discriminated in many ways. They do not have the same opportunities to work or study that the white people have, but it is not because the government does not permit this, it is because of the idea that has been transmitted to the society years ago. When there is a crime, most of the people think that it is a black person who commited it. Those are some general ways in how they are discriminated, but also, the society or the persons that surround each black person, discriminate saying things that could damage. Obviously not all people think of this way, there are also people who respect black people and they do not do any difference between white and black persons. Anyway this problem has been decreasing through the years, the US has a black president and this could not be possible some years ago, so people have to think about the equality of opportunities and I think that in a future black people will be treated as white people, because both have the same capacity to do whatever they want, so this is something that white people and all the society will notice.
To end I want to emphasize that black people is victim of racism but it is nothing compared with years ago.
cheers
Carolina Armendariz

MensajeTema: Re: African – American civil rights (Group: 318)   African – American civil rights (Group: 318) EmptyMar Nov 04, 2014 4:24 am

Carolina Armendariz Ovalle. Smile
Theoretically, all the people are equal, they have the same rights, they must be treated as equal. The movement for the African-American Civil Rights eliminated the discrimination, the laws to allow to white people believe that they were better than the color people. Now, you may see a change, but there is considered as themselves as better, they make a difference between people, they give certain benefits to the white people instead of the color one. The movement changed the law, changed the things that they were writing. We need time and effort to change the minds, the culture of a country. They made the first step, they changed the laws, in the actual world there is a big difference between the USA 60 years ago and now, but we still having problems with discrimination.
You may have a theory, and everything could be perfect because you would have control over what is going to happen. You will imagine all the results when you test the theory but in society, you will see that there are a lot of factors that can affect you. When you think you are making changes, there will be problems but they have an only purpose: to be equal and to change the people's mind by changing the world. They made the first step but we still have a long way to go.
Very Happy
serch-(LitioLitio)

MensajeTema: Re: African – American civil rights (Group: 318)   African – American civil rights (Group: 318) EmptyMar Nov 04, 2014 11:23 pm

Sergio Alfonso García Mata

I think that there is no racism in USA, there are only prejudices and bias. As far as I know, in order to have racism in some place, people should think that one race is superior to another one. Most of whites in USA just go to parties and get drunk with their black friends, racism implies the presence of discrimination, but I am sure that there is no discrimination in those parties. But I think that there are prejudices, those prejudices make people think that black people is poor or criminal or not intelligent, etc. those prejudices are the ones that cause white people to reduce the oportunities of blacks, to atack them and to laugh at them. Many people (not just white people, I guess you think that there are only whites and blacks in the USA) do the mentioned things to blacks because they think that it is fun, that it makes you important or better (bullying), and because there are not consequences nor education. That's it, there are not feelings of race superiority, maybe feelings of social superiority, but that is not racism. Equality has not been achieved in the 2014, but not because of people that discriminates or thinks that one race is superior to another one, but because of ignorant not educated people that thinks that it is fun.

I exhort you to read this and to give me your opinion, maybe I am the only one who wrote that there is no racism. Have a nice day

Off-topic:
Follow me on twitter @SergioAlfonsoG
LuciaMiranda

MensajeTema: Re: African – American civil rights (Group: 318)   African – American civil rights (Group: 318) EmptyMiér Nov 05, 2014 12:39 am

Lucia Miranda Leal Razz

I think that racism in the US is still there, because there is some people that think that they are better than others just because their color skin, or their economic position. I also think that people don't care about who you are inside, the only thing that matters for them is, if you have money, or your appearance, or your skin color, or your sexual orientation, and if we don't change that, we are never going to be able to progress. I think the reason why this happen, i because of the stereotypes that we see in magazines, or in comercials, or in the television, etc. For example you don't see a model who's weight is above 40 kilograms, or see a comercial in where the actors or actress are fat. Racism and marginalization: whe yoy only see the skin and forget to see the heart. sunny

Equality doesn't exit. I think that is pretty sad that some people treat other people in a different way even thought we are all human beings and we have the rights to be treat the same way no matter what. Sadly i think this isn't going to change because of the people who think that being different is not OK. The problem of equality is going to be there if we don't realized that everyone should be treat the same no matter if they are women, or men, and don't preffer some kind of social group, because everyone have the opportunity to get ahead and change people's mind. Treat people the same way you want to be treated. Laughing

MensajeTema: Re: African – American civil rights (Group: 318)   African – American civil rights (Group: 318) EmptyMiér Nov 05, 2014 1:27 am

In my opinion, there is always going to be a person that treat another as if they are different, just because of the ir skin color or even having another differences. In the United States even it is most seen that people of different color in their skin is being part of a new society, and also that the actual president of the United States has a different color of skin and this president had contributedd to form a stable country. It is remembered that, when it was selected, other people didn´t like him as a a president for the same reasons. So, for me there is still racism in the United States.
It is true, that in the United States  in these years, it has been shown a more peaceful union between people and a obvious reducing in the discrimination by different ways of controlling it. But, society will always have levels of organization in which there is going to be a person consider greater than other, a one that will be considered as lower. Equality has not beein reached in the 2014. The equality is very difficult to achieve, but not impossible. So the only thing, that is being considered to think about is to change the way of thoughts that people commonly have today. There is no greater good than having a peaceful union between all the people., not taking in count differences, because we are all humans, with unique characteristics each one of us.

MensajeTema: Re: African – American civil rights (Group: 318)   African – American civil rights (Group: 318) EmptyMiér Nov 05, 2014 1:37 am

Answering to: Sergio Alfonso Garcia

I agree with you, that maybe it is more commonly seen that people tend to critize other mostly for their social status, but there still exist some of them that actually take everything in count. Money, color of skin, social status, and other charactersitics. So, racism still exist, in a small quanity of the citizens, but exists. And talking about equality, I am also completely agree with you, because there are many poeple that had not been well educated, and for these people, equality has not been reached.
Ana Claudia Medellin

MensajeTema: Re: African – American civil rights (Group: 318)   African – American civil rights (Group: 318) EmptyMiér Nov 05, 2014 1:58 am

Ana Claudia Medellin Mata

I think that there is still racism in some places in the United States because in most states there is discrimination to black people. White people believe that their skin color or social status are entitled to have better opportunities of work or study that black people and this belief has been passed from generation to generation doing notorious discrimination to black people, obviously not all Americans think this way because no matter the skin color or economic position of the people, we are all human and have the same rights and these should be respected, but should start to create awareness about this and leave behind all prejudices about black people that if they are poor, dirty, criminals or have no education because of one or another way this is discrimination and one or another way is doing racism.
We are in the 21st century and still not equality is achieved despite the fact that United States is governed by a black president does not mean that gives equal or that there is no discrimination in the US but this has been a great achievement as it is the first black president, to ensure that there is social equality maybe take hundreds of years.
I think we should start now, we must begin to leave behind all those prejudices and change the way you think. cheers

Última edición por Ana Claudia Medellin el Jue Nov 06, 2014 9:26 pm, editado 1 vez
Jesús Rafael

MensajeTema: Re: African – American civil rights (Group: 318)   African – American civil rights (Group: 318) EmptyMiér Nov 05, 2014 2:06 am

Jesús Rafael García Tamez
In my opinion, United States continue being racist. The reason why I think that is racist is that in general the entire world continue being racist. The thing that makes the world racist is that the people, from anywhere they are from, is that the people when see someone different are suppose to create opinion of the people by the popular opinion. In other words, when the people see other people that are different, usually they give the other ones a different treatment. This is specially thought on USA, I wasn’t there yet, but I visited some websites about this theme and all said “Yes, of course”, by means of investigation is easily assumed that most of the people from USA are racist. The college students from the USA are rumored to be the racist ones in USA. Anyway on that place is well-known to give a different treatment for the black people and also the foreign people, especially the Mexican people. The fight against the racism continues day to day, but as the bad people, this problem doesn’t disappear at all. The world has to change this, in the time many people have battled against this, and more people of the future are going to continue with this eternal fighting. In conclusion, the people of the USA continue being racist, and that is a problem that more and more people will fight in the future.
Lizeth González Jonas♥

MensajeTema: Re: African – American civil rights (Group: 318)   African – American civil rights (Group: 318) EmptyMiér Nov 05, 2014 2:12 am

Mireya Lizeth González Espiricueta.  
Razz

I think that there are racism, not as before. Maybe there are some racist people, only a small number of people. Also I think that part of the promise was fulfilled, because there are laws that protects the black people, and some years ago these laws didn't exist, discrimination for these people was normal, or something very common, and nobody did something to change this situation, until other people, tired of this, tried to defend their rights, they tried to make people understand, that there was no reason to behave of that way to the people just for the skin color, as some years ago in the buses, when the black people had to give their seat for a white person, if it was necessary, or even more years ago, when the white people sold to black people as slaves. Nowadays, these situations do not exist, even a black person is  president of the United States, we can see that black people have the same oportunities than white people, maybe this is not an evidence of change Question , but for me it is a proof that now white and black people have the same oportunities, they have laws that protect them, and nowadays is much better than previous years, that's why I think that part of that promise has been fulfilled.   cheers

Racist people will always exist, for several reason, maybe they might think that they are better than other people for skin color, social status, nationality, etc, ; but everyone should know that this characteristics doesn't mean anything, everyone are equal, it dooesn't matter that a person has more money than other, or the skin color, age, or anything to behave in certain way with other person.

If we want change, we must begin with ourselves. sunny Wink
Diana Ibarra

MensajeTema: Re: African – American civil rights (Group: 318)   African – American civil rights (Group: 318) EmptyMiér Nov 05, 2014 2:33 am

Diana Laura Ibarra Garza

In my opinion , I think that still there racism in USA because society discriminated black people, and this is so sad because this shouldnt happen ,this type of exclusion is not allowed in our times , may be in the past, but in 2014 not, because for that reason have existed and exist a lot organizations and fights for stop it, so The racism is a term in where we musn't be, because all The persons have The same rights and also The color of skin is not important for characterize and evaluate the capacity and value of a person , but we have to consider that it is not followed for all People, obviously there People that is not racist but the equality is a problem,The acceptance for other people is confused and they aren't respectful with The black People, because may be they have a wrong ideas , however the times can have a change, and consideration can increase, because we are humans and nobody is perfect. :')

The racism is bad term this type of terms shouldn't exist ,because The unique thing that it does are problems, for that reason is important take conscience of all of this, and the color of skin doesn't make the person, The person have a thousand qualities or more, we don't know, we just know that all persons are equal and special.:DD
WE ARE HUMANS:')
EduardoRG

MensajeTema: Re: African – American civil rights (Group: 318)   African – American civil rights (Group: 318) EmptyMiér Nov 05, 2014 3:30 am

Eduardo Reséndez Guajardo

What I think is that the racism Still exist in United States, but it is not the same that before because of The movement for the African-American Civil Rights, now there are some people who likes to practice racism because of their thoughts that white people is better than colored people, but it is not true. All the people, black and white people are equal, all of us have the same rights, but why the racism still exist? I think that the people who discriminates black people is because they feel less than black people, for example, when a black boy is better in the school than a white boy, or maybe they don´t know that all the people are equal. Racism has been disappearing year by year, now United States has a colored president, I think that we should start fighting vs. the racism, because without racism, also disappear the bullying and the discriminations. I hope that some day there will be no racism.
Jesús Rafael

MensajeTema: Re: African – American civil rights (Group: 318)   African – American civil rights (Group: 318) EmptyMiér Nov 05, 2014 3:38 am

Jesús Rafael García Tamez
Answering to: Alan Eduardo Ramirez Rico
I am in favor with your opinion. I agree that the people treat the other by several reasons such as the ones that you mentioned, also that the treatment sometimes is too bad. I also agree with the case mentioned of that president with different skin color, that some people didn’t like him as president, that’s a prove that the United States continue being racist. I liked your final opinion about that isn’t a greater good that have a peaceful world where doesn’t matter the differences.
KevinVega

MensajeTema: Re: African – American civil rights (Group: 318)   African – American civil rights (Group: 318) EmptyMiér Nov 05, 2014 3:52 am

Kevin Francisco Vega Rodríguez

I think that racism has not disappeared, because racism is the belief that a particular race is superior or inferior to another, so treat a black person in a discriminatory manner is not the only way to make racism, racism involves religion, economic level,nationalities, etc. But what is the point of it? US is a multicultural country and almost all the american children meet with other kids that have different thoughts and maybe they treat each other in a different way, because they perceive those differences and make like a kind of division, so since the childhood racism exists.

Maybe racism levels has decreased, but it still exists. I hope that one day racism will disappear, because all of us have that same rights and is not your "fault" of being a mexican, italian, american people or if you have a black or white skin, because we are humans and we deserve respect from each other.
Brenda López

MensajeTema: Re: African – American civil rights (Group: 318)   African – American civil rights (Group: 318) EmptyMiér Nov 05, 2014 4:20 am

Brenda Nelly López Hernández

Well, what I think about the racism in The Unites States is that it still exist because many people see in a bad way the black ones and when something bad occurs and a black person is around that, the first thing that the police thinks as possible suspect is the black person that was there. I believe that the promise about the equality between white and black people and also between the others minorities is not fulfilled now, because there are still differences, but also there was some social movements in order to obtain a solution of the racism with the purpose of provide the same benefits and opportunities for white people and the black ones in every situation in daily life, and with those movements the racism is already decreased until these days and I think that it will completely disappear in a few years in the future.
KevinVega

MensajeTema: Re: African – American civil rights (Group: 318)   African – American civil rights (Group: 318) EmptyMiér Nov 05, 2014 4:26 am

Kevin Francisco Vega Rodríguez

Answering to: Megan Sandoval

I agree with you because racism has decreased throughout the years, because US has a black president and it couldn't happen in the past, but black people are not the only victim of racism, because they also discriminate other people.
Emperador Emmanuel

MensajeTema: José Emanuel Carrizales Villanueva   African – American civil rights (Group: 318) EmptyMiér Nov 05, 2014 4:33 am

José Emmanuel Carrizales Villanueva
First We have to say that the people are not equal and they will not never be equal, because there is a diference between be the same, and have the same value.
Well, it is easy, there is still racism in the US.
If you do not think that, you just have to see some points.
There is a diference of 10% between salary of black and white people, having exactly the same work.
The increase in the average of the black people withot work from 10% to 12% since the time od Luther King
The black people hat legal punishment 20% more in comparasion to white people
Although the racial integration the difference between education of white school (rich parents) and black school (poor parents) is monumental
But this is jut racism that get black people. The racism that recive Gypsies, Asians and Latins is present in the US culture.
For example, the cases generated in Los Angeles in 1992 where the blacks were angry with latins for "stoling" their jobs (Hire undocumented people is less expensive) and with asians for the high prices of the products (Asians controlled the food stores of the ghettos).
And laws as the Arizona case, where are immigrants completely forbiden.
Or the cases where the white people is classified and despised for be "A white racist"
Maura Rincón

MensajeTema: Re: African – American civil rights (Group: 318)   African – American civil rights (Group: 318) EmptyMiér Nov 05, 2014 4:43 am

Maura Lizbeth Rincón Reyes

In my opinion there is still racism in United States, the people in some parts of the country still discriminate the black people. Well, is true that with all the movements against racism that were made in the last century, as that was done by the Rev. Martin Luther King helped greatly that the rights of black people were respected, discrimination has decreased, and most of the people begin to accept black people. But the problem is still there and it will be always there because we still have the idea that the skin color makes a big difference and for this we overestimate white people and underestimate black ones.
But the discrimination is not good to the society, all the people have the same rights and we are humans, there is no difference, we just need to leave the prejudices and tolerate the differences that we have.
There is still much to achieve the promise of equality, the first step is to change our way of thinking and make a difference with our actions.
Emperador Emmanuel

MensajeTema: Re: African – American civil rights (Group: 318)   African – American civil rights (Group: 318) EmptyMiér Nov 05, 2014 4:43 am

José Emmanuel Carrizales Villanueva
Answering to: Kevin Francisco Vega Rodríguez
I am agree with you with that racism has decreased. But the physcis differences or thoughs (Religion, Haobbies and more) are not the division (Well, it makes one, but not enough to be considered as racism). The Point is the education, and not just education that get in house, education of schools, and the internet, and in television.
Maura Rincón

MensajeTema: Re: African – American civil rights (Group: 318)   African – American civil rights (Group: 318) EmptyMiér Nov 05, 2014 4:59 am

Maura Lizbeth Rincón Reyes
Answering to: Lucia Miranda Leal
I'm agree with your statement about some people think that are more important or better because the color skin that they have and the economical position too. And also I'm agree that this discrimination occurs by the stereotypes that people made about the black people, an we can find a lot in magazines, at the T.V, etc. I think that this is true because many people is influenced for this stereotypes, and then they make prejudices about them.
LuciaMiranda

MensajeTema: Re: African – American civil rights (Group: 318)   African – American civil rights (Group: 318) EmptyMiér Nov 05, 2014 9:26 pm

Lucia Miranda Leal
Answering To: Kevin Francisco Vega Rodriguez

I agree with you because the racism still exist and is more likely to occurs on some parts of the USA, as also occurs with children, beacuase they see how adults treat people in a different way just becuase of how they look, or their color skin etc. I also agree that racism is not only the fact that one race think that is superior from another, but also is when people treat other people differently just because of their religion, or their economic level, or their nationalities etc. Also i like that you mention that you hope that someday racism disappear, because we all deserve the same rigts and the same treatment from each other.
serch-(LitioLitio)

MensajeTema: Re: African – American civil rights (Group: 318)   African – American civil rights (Group: 318) EmptyMiér Nov 05, 2014 11:55 pm

Sergio Alfonso García Mata
Answering to: José Emmanuel Carrizales Villanueva

I agree a lot with your point that people is not equal. But your provided data is not any proof that racism exist. You said that black people is paid less than white people even when they do exactly the same job, that does not mean that racism is present. For example, I could pay less a person that is black because he annoys me, that does not mean that I feel superior because of my race, that is not racism.

Your provided data is just a proof of the existance of discrimination. When you treat a person in a different way than you treat other people because of his/her skin color, religion, social status,etc. then, you are discriminating. Racism is only present when you discriminate a race because you feel superior than that race. Again, your data proves that discrimination exists, but not that racism exist.

I think that all the forms of discrimination that you and other partners are talking about are caused because people who discriminates thinks that it is fun or just because they see other people doing it, not because they feel superior than other races, not because they are racists. And, to be honest, we all are too busy thinking if we could live one more day, no one is thinking that one race is superior to other races, we are just caring about money and social status.

To every one of you: racism and discrimintation are two different things. There is discrimination in the US, but there is no racism.
Ana Claudia Medellin

MensajeTema: Re: African – American civil rights (Group: 318)   African – American civil rights (Group: 318) EmptyJue Nov 06, 2014 9:43 pm

Ana Claudia Medellin Mata
Answering to: Megan Itzel Sandoval Pérez

I agree with you that there is still racism towards black people but not much as previous years, the way of thinking and living is changing rapidly as you mentioned, now the US has a black president and this was possible because people are changing their ideologies, but this does not mean that racism has ceased to exist but is not compared to previous years
Valeria Obregón

MensajeTema: Re: African – American civil rights (Group: 318)   African – American civil rights (Group: 318) EmptyVie Nov 07, 2014 1:21 am

Valeria Obregón Fuentes

Actually racism in US has decreased a lot in comparison to how it was years ago; unfortunately it has not disappeared at all. I think that there is still racism, because it is within a human nature to judge a book by its cover, only until him/her read and notice all the things inside of it will have an appropriate opinion about it.

The dream that Martin Luther King had, showed his desire to live in a world in which everyone is equal; where peace prevails. I think that at least one aspect of his dream is partly unfulfilled. Nowadays, black people still aren't on the same economic, political or social levels as white people. I mean, there are not the same opportunities in both races. Martin Luther King initiated a huge improvement in the freedom for many, but his work is not completely done. Without all people being equal in all areas, how can any of us really be free? People just need to be more open minded.
Contenido patrocinado

MensajeTema: Re: African – American civil rights (Group: 318)   African – American civil rights (Group: 318) Empty

African – American civil rights (Group: 318)
Página 1 de 3.Ir a la página : 1, 2, 3  Siguiente